SHIKARA

It was close to 5:30 pm and it started to become real dark.I just had an exhilarating experience covering two of the most iconic destinations of SriNagar ,frankly when I first came to know that I will be visiting gardens, I had my expectations in check.When you talk about Kashmir , you talk about the everlasting greenery ,the magnanimous Himalayas and of course lots of snow , travelling to a local garden was something last on my bucket list but I am glad I was proven wrong.
This was a hot day in Kashmir ,compared to the previous seasons this time there hasn’t been much of a snowfall ,as a result I find myself covering it in the month of April, otherwise its advisable to cover this part of the world at May end.


As the dusk settled the temperatures declined ,the city was in for a frosty evening.I was still in the comfort of my tour car but still could feel the shivers.On our way to the houseboat I had a candid chat with Javed (Guide), he was a local and I tried learning some Kashmiri phrases but to no avail.I couldn’t’ help but discuss with him the current situation of the place.Kashmir has always been an integral part of my country and I always wondered why some miscreants were hell bent to create unrest in this region. Javed was more than willing to discuss about the same, he said that the situation isn’t as bad as the media portrays it to be, there is tension but its mostly on the areas close to the border, the city is peaceful and secure and most of the Kashmiris are peace loving.”Are bhaiya yaha pe koi aap pe bam Nahi Marega ,in media walo ki mat suna karo” (nobody is going to throw bombs at you, don’t listen to the media).We had a good laugh and on my way I encountered a lot of police stationed at every checkpoint , a scene that would become quite common as the trip continued.

SHIKARA RIDE

Already I had a couple of Shikara Rides as to travel from the houseboat to the main road , a journey on the lake is a must.This time around though ,the next couple of hours would be dedicated solely to a beautiful Shikara Ride.

Shikara has been a part of the Kashmir Tradition since centuries, you just can’t expect to have a good piece of this mesmerising part of the world without spending a good time on the tranquil waters of Dal Lake.I hail from Bhopal-The city of lakes ,I have been boating around all throughout my life but this wasn’t just another boat ride.
It was pitch dark with only the lamp lights acting as a saviour, the paddle pushing hard on the surface of water to get the boat rolling.The Himalayas ,now almost indiscernible give an impression of a colossal shadow covering the arena.Gliding the fingers over the chilling water is an affair in itself.The sound of the row on the water sets up for a tranquil experience.
The Dal lake is huge but what separates it from other lakes is people have made a considerable habitat on the surface of it.Barring the great range of houseboats present on the surface of it ,you will come across an entire market in which one can shop any local Kashmiri Product at a paltry price.I went into one of the shops to treat me with a hand woven sweater.How could I miss the hot “Kavha” on that Shikara , a traditional Kashmiri drink made from different herbs with a tea spoon of honey that helps keep one warm.


On our way back, the steerer started singing a Bollywood song in full energy.I was amazed at the energy and enthusiasm he had, this was late at night and it would be his last ride after a long day but still he made me feel like I am the most special person for him in this world.He wanted to know a lot about my origins and even insisted me to buy a property in Kashmir and settle forever.On reaching my houseboat ,I paid him extra 100rs for being such a great entertainer and also gave him a big hug.



After a 30 minute pleasant Shikara voyage it was finally time to call it a day ,I settled in the comforts of a very well spaced room of my houseboat.I was in a state of a torpor but still couldn’t make myself sleep , it would be Pahalgam the next day and the anticipation kept me awake for a little while.

Comments

  1. Beautifully written bro!! Kashmir: Added to the checklist!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your honest feedback is valuable! Please let me know what you thought about the blog.

Popular Posts