PONY RIDE

Arriving at the beautiful Pahalgam was a scene in itself, I had no idea what was in store for me , the best I expected was a little trek on the mountains but when I reached, the entire setting blew me away.
                                                                                          There were heaps of tourist buses parked in a massive ground which was expected.What wasn’t expected was the astronomical number of ponies .So here is the plan, get over one of these and ride all the way around the valley capturing the most alluring scenes of Kashmir before eventually reaching to Pahalgam.The idea was mouth watering but the implementation looked fatal.

FEAR..

The last time I was on a horse was years back as a 9 year old kid on a plain surface and the horse was literally crawling, this time though, I would be in one of those ponies riding on one of the most unexpected terrains at more than a normal speed.I went back to Javed and told him bluntly that I cant pull this off, make me cover this place through the vehicle.Javed said “the car cant climb the mountains but a pony can, I will be missing out on a lot if I didn’t go for the pony ride”.Only when the instructor assured me that there’s no risk and everything will be in control, I nodded.

After the initial hiccups , I felt pretty comfortable on the beautiful pony.I had no clue on what was to come but the initial 15 minutes went by like a breeze , the pony was making it look easy and it was turning out to be a beautiful affair before it turned out to be an ordeal.The moment the first of many clumsy , steep pathways came ,my heart sunk.I for my life couldn’t imagine how this small horse will be able to get through such tough terrains carrying a 65kg well grown man.The instructor assured yet again that this is a daily routine and well, what other choice I really had, no one can cover those trails barring that little horse I was riding.

All my doubts came into a standstill seeing the ease at which the beautiful pony went about its job.I was simply mesmerised seeing the way it was covering such a tumultuous path.From that time the entire journey to the spot was nothing but a very sweet adventure.I had full trust on the horse , no matter how uncanny the path looked ,the pony knew what she was doing.

The tourists around were also having the life of their time, I saw 8 year old kids riding the pony with full confidence.The above picture you see is reckoned as the spot through which you get the see the best view of Kashmir, and you cant get here without the support of that intelligent animal and if you can’t get here ,your entire Kashmir trip is nothing but a waste.Albeit all the hurdles, challenges the pathway had to offer, the pony was up to its task.She may rest , have some water but will be back on the ring ,gloves on knocking out its opponents with a killer blow.

I was at the best driver’s seat ,enjoying every single moment of being part of the ride.This was a lifetime event and I didn’t want to think about anything else but just focus on how everything was brewing around.Post an exhilarating pony ride, we finally reached the destination that I often called “the mini Scotland” , just another place that gave me another massive reason to reiterate the cliche line “heaven on the earth” but there was much more to this beautiful place.Find out in the next blog.

Comments

Popular Posts